Learn from the most respected names in the specialty at SIR 2018
SIR is preparing to roll out the red carpet and put the limitless potential of interventional radiology in the spotlight at the SIR Annual Scientific Meeting in Los Angeles, March 17–22, 2018. Cutting-edge research, clinical trials, devices and technology in minimally invasive patient care will take a starring role in the world’s most comprehensive IR education experience.
SIR 2018 is designed to meet the educational needs of practicing interventional radiologists, IRs in-training, diagnostic radiologists and other physicians with a special interest in IR—and is the only venue offering IR education designed specifically for clinical associates. The meeting also offers a supportive and highly interactive introduction to IR for medical students who may be considering the specialty as their focus.
Brian Funaki, MD, FSIR
SIR 2018 Chair
SIR 2018 will have dedicated education for every career stage. There will be many opportunities to learn from the most respected names in IR and to create and reinforce connections with colleagues around the world. SIR continues to discover new and exciting ways to incorporate interactive learning, and the society has redoubled efforts to expand the diversity of viewpoints, practice environments and international experience of our faculty.
With SIR’s time-tested, comprehensive curriculum, it’s easy to build a schedule that meets your needs and interests. The 2018 program will feature a variety of interactive session formats to enable attendees to choose to learn in different ways. The assortment of session formats will include 13 clinical pathways, case-based settings, hands-on workshops, self-assessment models (SAMs) and Q&A.
Attendees have the opportunity to earn 33.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. SIR 2018 will contain 22 SAM sessions and be approved for 37.5 SAM credits.
The meeting will include programming dedicated to hot topics and various areas of interest within the specialty, including a deep dive into the impact big data can have on a practice, dedicated symposia on private practice and the business of IR, and increased interactivity in hands-on workshops and technology demonstrations.
These are just a few things attendees can expect to see at SIR 2018.
- Expert discussion on current treatments, needs and future trends of minimally invasive vein treatments
- Abstracts from around the world on the diagnosis, pathology and management of venous disease
- The latest technologies for diagnosis, triage and intervention in massive and sub-massive pulmonary embolism
- Seminars on acute and chronic DVT
- Skills workshops on the management of occlusive disease and venous insufficiency
One of the exciting new sessions at SIR 2018 will be an emergency response course, focused on mobilizing for catastrophic events, and will feature how to mobilize large numbers of IR staff to react to unexpected crises, natural disaster recovery and IR’s role on trauma teams. Returning pillars of the annual scientific meeting will include: The Stroke Course, the Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation (RPVI) Exam Prep Course, IR Domain: The Essentials and more.
Spread the word
Remember to keep up with everything happening at SIR 2018 on Twitter. Use these hashtags to chat or search meeting-related details.
- #SIR18LA: Conversations and news about the SIR 2018 Annual Scientific Meeting
- #visiontoheal: News about interventional radiologists and IR treatments
- #SIRFoundation or #SIRF18Gala: News from SIR Foundation
- #JVIR: News from the Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- #IRad: Interventional radiology
At the Expo, the meeting’s exhibit hall, attendees will find a host of ways to augment the lessons learned in formal sessions, while also refueling with “energy breaks” between sessions. The Expo offers:
- Hands-on workshops: Physician-moderated sessions where attendees break into small groups and rotate through hands-on product training with SIR’s corporate partners
- Advanced Procedural Technique Lab (APT): Faculty-driven, procedure-specific technical training
- Eat and Be Educated sessions: In-booth educational sessions featuring expert-led discussions
- Corporate Theater: Corporate symposia led by IR faculty
- SIR Central: Your home base in the Expo
Hold the entire meeting in the palm of your hand.
With so many must-see sessions, attendees will want to download the SIR 2018 mobile app from the app store to plan their time at the meeting, access the Expo and Los Angeles Convention Center floor plans and visit the New Product Showcase™. The app, which will be available in late January, provides up-to-the-minute alerts so attendees never miss a session. It also allows attendees to share their #SIR18LA experience by posting directly from the app to social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and includes direct feeds from all of SIR’s social media accounts.
Note: There will not be a printed meeting program. Download and use the app to keep up with everything SIR 2018!
SIR Foundation Gala, Sunday, March 18
Join SIR Foundation for a fun and inspirational evening to support IR research! Attend the SIR Foundation Gala 2018, at the historic Beverly Wilshire Hotel on Sunday, March 18, 2018. For more information, please contact Terrianne Zeifman, SIR Foundation development director, at (703) 460-5591 or email@example.com, or Becca Ginns, SIR Foundation development manager, at (703) 460-5598 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There’s no business like IR business: Surviving today's practice (r)evolution
As IR approaches an economic and practice management crossroads, SIR 2018 will offer two symposia to help you navigate the changing economic landscape and explore emerging practice models.
Attend “There’s no business like IR business: Surviving today's practice (r)evolution,” March 18 and 19 from 1–6 p.m., and discover the best ways to practice clinically sound IR while showing value to the health care system in the coming decade. With the advent of MACRA, proving the value of IR is now paramount to every practice type. Learn how to survive, compete and thrive, and ensure your practice is well positioned to deliver optimum patient care.
On day one, March 18, learn how to become an “IR Survivor” during the health policy and economics boot camp:
- Get the hospital’s and health system’s perspective of IR.
- Learn how to prove and improve value to administrators through E&M coding, using standardized reporting templates, having a service line focus and more.
- Go from diagnosis to dollars through the two MACRA reimbursement tracks—MIPS and APMs.
On day two, March 19, meet us at the “Private Practice Crossroads”:
- Discuss the evolving practice model landscape for those in private practice.
- Investigate ways to show the value of clinical IR to your DR and IR partners.
- Discover what it takes financially (and mentally) to start an outpatient IR practice.
- Explore how to get referrals and deal with turf wars.
- Learn about both sides of the polarizing exclusivity debate.
- Explore hot topics and future trends in the coming years specifically related to private practice IR with town hall debates and open discussions.
Don’t miss out
Whether you attend or not, don’t miss a moment of the meeting. Each day of the meeting, SIR Today Live (sirtoday.org) provides the latest SIR 2018 news and updates, as well as content overviews, expert interviews and much more.