The Interventional Radiology/Diagnostic Radiology Transition Pathway
American Board of Radiology Updated Oct. 15, 2018
Beginning in 2018, ABR diplomates certified in diagnostic radiology or general radiology who completed an ACGME-accredited vascular and interventional radiology (VIR) fellowship more than 10 years ago, but were not certified in VIR, are eligible to take the oral component of the IR/DR Certifying Exam. Successful ABR candidates will be awarded a continuous ABR specialty certificate in IR/DR.
This pathway will be available for a limited time only, with applications being accepted until Feb. 28, 2020. The ABR encourages you to apply and take the exam as soon as possible.
Diplomates interested in earning IR/DR certification through this pathway must meet the following requirements:
- Have a diagnostic radiology or general radiology certificate in good standing.
- Have completed an ACGME-accredited VIR fellowship. Confirmation from the program director or department chair is required.
- Spend at least one-third (15 hours per week) of their practice in interventional radiology. Attestation by section chief or department chair is required.
- Provide a log of their last 500 interventional radiology cases, including the complications of those procedures.
- Have completed at least 75 CME credits in the last three years, at least 25 of which must be Self-assessment CME (SA-CME). Documentation of the CME must be submitted with the application unless the diplomate is already participating in MOC and has completed Part 2 attestation.
- Submit a completed application. The standard application window is Nov. 1 through Feb. 28 each year. Applications will not be accepted after Feb. 28.
- Provide evidence of a current state medical license with expiration date.
- Be current with MOC annual fees (if applicable) and pay current exam fee.
Diplomates with an approved application will take the oral component of the IR/DR Certifying Exam. For details, please see the IR/DR Certifying Exam page.
Please note that if you are less than 10 years out from completing your fellowship, you are still eligible to sit for the IR oral exam and become IR/DR certified. Please contact the ABR office at (520) 790-2900 or by email at email@example.com for information on the application process.
Read about the role SIR Connect played in last year's discussions on certification.