A preview of the SIR 2019 Annual Scientific Meeting
As a primary specialty, interventional radiology join the ranks of internal medicine, pediatrics, general surgery, neurosurgery, thoracic/cardiac surgery, vascular surgery, obstetrics/gynecology and others. IR is recruiting potential trainees directly from medical students and is already statistically the most competitive residency in medicine. All of that energy and forward momentum will be highly visible at the SIR 2019 Annual Scientific Meeting, March 23–28, 2019, in Austin, Texas.
The Annual Meeting Committee has designed a meeting that addresses all your most pressing needs as an interventional radiologist in today’s health care climate:
- Research topics that will appeal to all IRs
- Perennially popular sessions like Extreme IR
- The new Career Symposium, which explores the incredible range of practice models and settings
- Categorical courses/SAMs that have been simplified to 90 minutes each
- Updated Angio Club/case-based workshop format with extensive audience participation
- SIR Connect Live sessions that will combine the popular online forum with the long-running “Meet the Experts” sessions
This year, we received nearly 1,600 abstract submissions. With such abundant research, creating the scientific program was challenging, but we believe we’ve succeeded in designing sessions that illuminate and showcase the breadth and depth of the specialty.
As you plan your schedule, you can expect tremendous diversity, both in topic and speakers, featuring a record number of women, underrepresented minorities, LGBTQ and international practitioners.
The SIR Expo, where industry representatives from around the world showcase their services and technologies of today and tomorrow, will tap into the spirit of Austin with food truck-style lunch options and locally sourced live music during the Expo breaks.
The SIR Annual Scientific Meeting serves many purposes—a true learning center, a chance to connect with colleagues, an opportunity to recharge your enthusiasm for what we do, and more—all within a few days.
We look forward to seeing you there!
The SIR 2019 Annual Scientific Meeting Committee
Visit sirmeeting.org to learn more about the members of the committee.
Daniel Sze, MD, FSIR
Chair, 2019 Annual Meeting Program
Constantino Peña, MD, FSIR
Chair, Workshop Program
Nadine Abi-Jaoudeh, MD, FSIR
Chair, Scientific Program
Brian Funaki, MD, FSIR
Chair, 2018 Annual Meeting Program
Hold the entire meeting in the palm of your hand
With so many must-see sessions, attendees will want to download the SIR 2019 mobile app from the app store to plan their time at the meeting, access the Expo and Austin Convention Center floor plans and visit the New Product Showcase™. The app, which will be available in January, provides up-to-the-minute alerts so attendees never miss a session. It also allows attendees to share their #SIR19ATX experience by posting directly from the app to social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and includes direct feeds from all of SIR’s social media accounts.
Note: There will not be a printed meeting program. Download and use the app to keep up with everything SIR 2019!
At the Expo, the meeting’s exhibit hall, attendees will find a host of ways to augment the lessons learned in formal sessions, while refueling during lunch with local food truck catering and food/beverage bars during morning and afternoon breaks. Expo highlights include:
- New—Scientific posters: Visit traditional paper and electronic poster presentations for scientific and educational exhibits
- New—Simulation suite: Experience IR procedural learning using simulation techniques
- Hands-on workshops: Physician-moderated sessions where attendees break into small groups and rotate through hands-on product training with SIR’s corporate partners
- Advanced procedural technique (APT) lab: Faculty-driven, procedure-specific technical training
- Meet and Be Educated Sessions: In-booth educational sessions featuring
- Corporate theater: Corporate symposia led by IR faculty
- SIR Central: Your home base in the Expo, as well as the location of the popular Compelling Conversations
- Headshot Café: Update your professional headshot
SIR Foundation 2019 Gala
Sunday, March 24
Join SIR Foundation as it celebrates 30 years of illuminating innovating at the 2019 Gala. The event will be held at the Four Seasons Austin on Sunday, March 24, at 6:30 p.m. Tickets and tables are available at gala.sirfoundation.org for this popular event, which has sold out in recent years. For more information, contact Becca Ginns, SIR Foundation senior manager of development, at (703) 460-5598 or email@example.com.
Spread the word
Remember to keep up with everything happening at SIR 2019 on Twitter. Use these hashtags to chat or search meeting-related details.
#SIR19ATX: Conversations and news about the SIR 2019 Annual Scientific Meeting
#visiontoheal: News about interventional radiologists and IR treatments
#SIRFoundation or #SIRF19Gala: News from SIR Foundation
#IRad: Interventional radiology
Don't miss out
Whether you attend or not, don’t miss a moment of the meeting. Each day of the meeting, SIR Today Live provides the latest SIR 2019 news and updates, as well as content overviews, expert interviews and much more.