The purpose of the Women in IR (WIR) Section is to promote women within the specialty by inspiring and empowering women interventional radiologists to achieve their personal and professional goals and serve as a resource to the Executive Council.
The Section for Women in IR is chartered by the Executive Council (EC) of the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR) to advance and promote women within Interventional Radiology. The section will do so by providing a forum in which members of SIR with special interests pertaining to women in interventional radiology may share information, receive, and give counsel, and serve as a resource to others interested in this area of interventional radiology.
The Women in IR Section will be fall under the Member Services Division of SIR, budgetary and financial requests will be directed through the Member Services Division. The Member Service Division Councilor shall serve as an ex-officio advisor to the WIR.
The WIR Governing Council composed of the chair, vice chair and appointed officers shall serve as the executive body of the WIR and shall define and oversee the projects and initiatives as subject to the mission statement of the WIR.
- Shall have be an active member or fellow in good standing of SIR
- Shall be actively practicing interventional radiology
Specific Duties of the Position
- Will attend SIR Executive Council meetings at the discretion of the President.
- From time-to-time, section leaders may be asked by the President to attend the Board meetings of other entities. In this case, their expenses will be paid by SIR.
- Shall keep the Member Service Division Councilor and Executive Council informed of section activities via copies of correspondence, agenda, minutes of meetings, etc.
- Shall submit an annual report to Executive Council, which consists of a list of achievements and activities of the past year and goals and objectives for the coming year.
- Shall submit to the Executive Council an informational summary of all section plans, goals, objectives, budgets, and meetings.
- Shall preside at the annual general assembly of the section and at any other meetings of the section. If the chair is absent, the vice-chair will assume the functions of the chair.
- Shall appoint chairperson and members to any standing and special committees of the section to carry out section activities.
- Shall make recommendations to the SIR Membership Development Committee on appointments of section members to SIR and SIR Foundation committees or section members representing the interests of Society with external organizations.
- Shall be an ex-officio member of all standing and special committees of the section.
Election and Term in Office
The term of Women in IR Chair is two years. To accomplish a smooth transition, the Women in IR Vice Chair (two-year term) shall become the Women in IR Chair. Terms begin at the adjournment of the Annual Members’ Business Meeting.